Tuesday, August 30, 2011

AFTER THE STORM

I am ok.  I have to remind myself of that fact whenever i am feeling anxious.  Most of you know that the area I live in, Windham, NY, was hit by Hurricane Irene.  It is quite amazing that our house was not taken by the water but it wasn't.  That doesn't mean I wasn't ready to leave my home because I was.  I packed with all the necessary things:  birth certificates, financial information, computer, work files, personal files and of course, underware.  Jay asked me where we were going to go.  Good question.  I looked across the road to higher ground..  "Well, I think that is where we will go.".  It was higher ground and that was all we needed.  The creek next to the house was raging.  I was afraid.  Scared to death.  I know that Jay was afraid too.  But he tried to maintain a strong front.

Then I thought of my machines.  My beautiful machines......I would take one......well maybe two.  No one.  Having to choose what to take was agonizing.....but Jay was sitting drinking his coffee watching the stream next to the house rage while getting higher and higher.  Every few moments he would call out to me letting me know what the status was. Oh God.  I don't know what else to pack.

Down town Windham is a mess.  Actually, a disaster.  Everyone seems to be dazed, trying to figure out what to do next.  The utilities crews are working around the clock.  It occurs to me that I don't care about my sewing machines as much as I care about the women I sew and knit with.  I love them all and can't wait to see them again.

Tonight we would have gotten together to share jokes, and compliment each other on whatever we were working on.  Instead, we all sit in our own homes, those of us who still have homes, and pray that each of us are safe.  Everyone is accounted for except for Emily.  The entire town that she lives in is gone.  We love you Emily and hope you are safe.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are safe. Like you, we escaped real damage. The trees that went down on the property didn't hit house or shed. My guild meeting was cancelled today, too, since the town where it's held is still under emergency conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you are ok. My studio is ok but one of my favorite quilt shops took a serious hit. Right now I am ready to work on my beading project and hope I can keep my mind occupied. The state police and the national guard have been stopping people from coming up the mountain if they don't live there.

    ReplyDelete

From the Studio

From the Studio
Paradise Found /private collection

Blog Archive