Monday, July 15, 2013

THE ZEN OF CREATING HATS!

You are either a hat person or not.  I happen to be a hat person and I love wearing them.  I also love making them.  Most of the hats I make are from recycled material such as denim, flannel, and antique buttons.  Sometimes I will even break out my embroidery machine for some extra detail.  Here are two samples of my hats. When I am creating hats, my mind takes me to that special place where inspiration comes from a variety of memories.
We have come to adorn our heads in so many ways and for so many reasons. Where once hats were used to protect our head from the elements, now they are more apt to be worn as an accessory almost like jewelry.  We have worn them for religious reasons, festive reasons, weather related reasons and just for fun.  We even have special events just for hats.  For example, Saratoga hat day where the opening of the Saratoga raceway is celebrated by every hat you can imagine.

Church
Off to the races
I don't know how it came to be that hats took on such significance at a horse race (an interesting research project to be sure). I do know that hats have always been a fascination to me. But even the hats I make can be so much fun for the wearer. A beautiful embellishment to be sure for those of us who may wear them. Nothing is quite as lovely as a woman wearing a beautiful hat!

The roaring twenties.  Isn't it wonderful?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the Studio

From the Studio
Paradise Found /private collection

Blog Archive