Friday, December 22, 2017

INTENTIONS

Setting Intention
When I first started my meditation practice so many years ago I will admit that setting an intention was not part of my practice.  I had all I could do just to sit still and be "mindful".  But as time always shows, continued practice not only makes me better at the things I want to do but allows other things to come to light as in the case of meditation.  At some point I began to set an intention at the beginning of my meditation.  This intention would last throughout the day.  For example setting an intention like "today I will practice being grateful".  Or "today I will practice mindfulness, being in the moment in all that I do".      

I started out by saying that I practice meditation every day and that I include an intention prior to sitting.  Does that mean I am some kind of Gandi? That I don't lose my temper, or become anxious? Not at all.  What it does do is allow me somewhere to get back to when I am out of sorts.  To take a moment and reflect back on my intention that I set at the beginning of the day.  Today's intention is "I am at peace and I believe".  It is a good intention and comes up from time to time.  

Adding an intention to your practice helps guide you through the day.  It does not have to be complicated.  In fact simple is always the best way.  Sometimes one word intentions are all you need.....peace, thoughtful, gratitude, focus, mindful.  These are just a few of the many to consider.  Practice does not make you perfect, you already are perfect.  Practice makes you more, well, practiced.

Namaste




No comments:

Post a Comment

From the Studio

From the Studio
Paradise Found /private collection

Blog Archive