Friday, May 22, 2015

BE YOUR OWN HERO

Earlier this year I was invited to give a brief meditation drawing class for a small group of women from the local battered women's shelter.  I was very happy to participate since the event was scheduled for the day before mothers day.  Cathy, the woman who invited me, owns a wonderful spa called Adam and Eve.  She told me that she does something every year for them.  Cathy planned a wonderful lunch along with some spa services.  She gave us each a card that was hand lettered with a saying.  I was amazed at what mine said and I have been thinking about it ever since.

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN HERO...........

Well, if that didn't give me pause for thought.  All of a sudden I realized that I wasn't entirely sure what a hero was.  So I looked it up.  Words like bravery, ethics, morality, hopeful, were words that jumped off the pages.  I searched for a better definition and this is what I found.  "A hero or heroine is a person or character who, in the face of danger or adversity or from a position of weakness displays courage or sacrifice...or heroism------for the greater good.

Okay.  I kept reading this over and over again yet I still didn't know how I could be my own hero.  I have never been particularly brave and some might say that morally I might be on shaky ground.  Never-the-less, it was quite thought provoking.  There is one more thing to consider......one more question to ask.  Do I have the courage to be my own hero?  I don't know but I do know that I am foolish enough to try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the Studio

From the Studio
Paradise Found /private collection

Blog Archive